Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sermon Reflection::Luke 7:36-50


Continuing on the subject of forgiveness begun in Matthew 18:21-35, last week Pastor David shared two scripture passages (Ezekiel 16:1-22 and Luke 7:36-50) to remind us of how far God reached to redeem us who were helpless and unworthy, and what our response should be to that great act of love and forgiveness.  The Ezekiel passage paints a graphic picture of us as we wallowed in our sin, unable to help ourselves.  God enters the picture and gives us life, but we should not, as Israel did, trust in our own "chosenness" and take the Lord for granted; instead we should worship unreservedly, like the woman in the Luke passage, as people who have been forgiven much. As we prepared our hearts for the Lord's Supper, I was challenged to think about the times recently when I have insisted on my own rights and have not loved as much as I could have, especially considering my own sinfulness and how much I have been forgiven.

--Leland Moody - C3 Deacon

No comments:

Post a Comment