Monday, August 6, 2012

Sermon Reflection::Matthew 19:16-30

This past Sunday, David returned from sabbatical and picked up in Matthew 19:16 - the story of the rich young man. In this story the wealthy man approaches Christ with seemingly good intentions, asking of Jesus how to gain eternal life. Jesus prods at the young man's heart by pointing out that, although he felt "first" in the world, he was standing "last" eternally. David explained that the rich man kept a closed hand in this world; that he could not give of his riches to gain Christ in heaven, and that Jesus ultimately asked the man (and us) to simply "follow me".

While my idol may not be wealth, I have others. The Lord may choose to take away my ability to play music - through arthritis, my ability to run - through accident, or my freedom to travel - through sickness. When He does see fit to "take away", I pray that He'll grant me faith to lose with an open hand, trusting that only to follow him will be my ultimate good.

--C3 Deacon - Lanny Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment