Monday, May 2, 2011

Student Sermon Reflections::Romans 8

Romans 8 begins Paul's explanation of the lifted condemnation in Paul's argument to the Romans. Previously Paul has been laying the foundation for the condemnation we all face as sinful humans, but here is the hinge in Romans where Paul spells out how Christ takes that condemnation away from us. Pastor David offered a summary of the process of our salvation in that God has saved us (justification), is saving us (sanctification), and will save us (glorification), then pointed us to Romans 5:18, explaining that our salvation comes "in Christ." Christ is the link that binds us all together in equal justification (everybody including Moses, Paul, and you and me). How? When God sees us, He sees His adopted children because of Christ. Christ's blood is the marker of our salvation, just as the lamb's blood marked the Jews for salvation in the Passover. There is no other way to salvation; not through works, not through a good attitude, not even through love (though those are the marks of salvation), but only through the mark of Christ's saving blood.

This proves to be an easy concept for me to grasp intellectually, but much more difficult to practically apply in my daily life. My problem is the culture in which I live and in the preconceived mindsets I have about individuality and work ethic. I have only to wait inside and in faith for the Spirit to pass over me, yet I am often uncomfortable in sitting still. I want to move, out of the safety of a blood-stained door frame, and take my chances against God in the world. I too often ask the foolish question, "How mad will Pharaoh be if our God does what He says He's going to do?" I worry about my success in this world, and how I might be able to overcome it. And when I might turn my thoughts to Heaven, I wonder how I can insure my entrance there by proving myself to God. What I must realize is that "trying to be a Christian" is not just futile; it's fatal. I am a Christian only because of Christ, and I did nothing, nor can I do anything, to insure it. God is the merciful giver; all I can do is set my thoughts on Him and glorify Him in all that I do. I fail often, but God has looked over my shortcomings on account of Christ, and He is sanctifying me into the Image He intends me to be. And then I simply love because Christ first loved me.


--Chris Ramos - C3 Student

No comments:

Post a Comment