Monday, February 7, 2011

Student Sermon Reflection



On Sunday Pastor David encouraged us through Romans 4:16-25 to consider our present circumstances with sober minds and hearts while looking hopefully to all that God has promised us through His Word. So often I am guilty of trying to forge a false reality (denial) or “white-knuckle” my circumstances in my own power (determination). I find myself looking at the sin in my life and trying to pretend it isn’t really there, or worse—that I should give up the fight because I am a failure. Other times, I want to “pick myself up by the bootstraps” and fix my own problem.


In light of the message from Romans, my response should be:
a) to trust God in the wilderness and
b) to realistically consider where I am today and fix my eyes on Christ, the one who has promised that “He who began a good work in me will bring it to completion.”

--Ryan Shelton - C3 Student

1 comment:

  1. Had a thought today while reading about the Israelites being lead into the wilderness rather than God taking them on a shorter route to the Promised Land. The wilderness was where they learned to trust Him, depending on Him daily for food. It made me realize how much more I learn when I follow Him through the wilderness of life and depend on Him for my daily bread. I also noticed he didn't spoon feed them manna, they had to go out after it. Encouragement to open the Word daily and feed on the Bread of Life.

    ReplyDelete